Sunday, November 9, 2008

Yellowstone

Yellowstone River


Way back in March I posted photos from Topaz Mountain (check them out here) and promised photos from Yellowstone soon. Well, "soon" has come and gone, but since I was there in the fall and it's fall again, now seems an appropriate time to post them.

Yellowstone is an amazing place; I admire the leaders that had the foresight to make it a national park. I could go on and on about the wonders there but wouldn't begin to do justice to the pristine beauty and sheer amazement I felt. I will mention one fact that I love: Yellowstone is centered over a caldera, an active volcano, which of course gives rise to the many geothermal events there, including Old Faithful. It's estimated that if the volcano erupts again it would be a cataclysmic event, but scientists are quick to say that they see no evidence that it will erupt in the near future. Whatever that means.

Anyway, it's a fascinating and beautiful place. Fall is a great time to visit; tourist numbers are way down, the temps are cool and pleasant, the elks are bugling, and the colors are incredible. I hope to return often.


Old Faithful


Yellowstone River










No comments:

Post a Comment