Friday, September 7, 2007

A Room with a View


I love my little office. I'm still getting settled in but I found a nice old oak library table for a desk; it butts up against a window with a lovely vista. A large elm tree (Ulmus x 'Accolade') fills most of the scene, but there's a opening in the branches just large enough to give me a zen view into the area garden. Right now feather reed grass (Calamagrostis x acutiflora 'Karl Foerster'), goldenrod, and rudbeckia are highlights of the garden. Later in autumn, trees in the background will pop with color, and in winter the bare branches of the elm allow a wider view of the snow-covered grounds. On a rainy day I'm just inches from the sound of dripping water and on cool days a breeze touches my hands as I type. Sometimes I see a rabbit nibbling at the grass; less often, a deer wanders into sight. On a late summer night I'm treated to the sounds of coyotes and owls and the soft wash of moonlight in the branches.

It's a small thing, to have a room with a view, but it's also a great blessing.

No comments:

Post a Comment