Monday, February 26, 2007

Stebbin's Gulch

I took a hike to Stebbin's Gulch Saturday. Strapped on snowshoes, hiked across a field, then down a ravine into the gulch.

It was spectacular.

Stebbin's Gulch is part of Holden Arboretum in northeast Ohio. It's a national Natural History Landmark and is protected. There are some unique native plants -- can't wait to visit in the spring and summer to get a better look at the plant communities.

Because the stream was only partly frozen over there are places where I had to slog through ice. Literally through ice. Since I took my snowshoes off when I got to rugged terrain, my foot often plunged through the ice into the running water. But my Extreme Squall boots are as advertised -- waterproof -- and they kept my feet toasty and dry. And anyway, no amount of icy water would be a deterrent. I love to hike, I love to be outdoors, I love to explore new-to-me areas, I love nature. And this place is unique.

Just as a point of reference, the icicles are a good twelve feet high and in some places were up to 20 feet long...









No comments:

Post a Comment